Function Point AnalysisFunction points are a unit of measure representing the functional size of a software application. The size is determined by identify the components of the system as seen by the end-user:
Interfaces to other systems, and
Logical internal files.
Function points counting usually occurs when a developer wants to size and estimate development time and effort for an application or a project.
The components may be classified as simple, average, or complex. All of these values are then scored and the total is expressed in Unadjusted Function Points (UFPs).
Complexity factors described by 14 general systems characteristics, such as Data Communications, Distributed Data Processing, Operational Ease, Reusability etc can be used to weight the UFP. Factors are also weighted on a scale of 0 - not present, 1 - minor influence, to 5 - strong influence. The result of these computations is a number that correlates to system size.
Interesting resources on Function Points:
1. Function Point Analysis, Five Components of Function Points, An Approach to Counting Function Points, Benefits of Function Point Analysis.
2. Objectives of Function Point Analysis, An Overview of Function Point Analysis, The Five Major Components, Rating and Ranking the Components, Unadjusted Function Points.
An Overview of Function Point Analysis
3. What is Function Point Analysis (FPA)?, How is Function Point Analysis done?, Example of Function Point Analysis etc.
4. Explain Function Point Analysis, Objectives, Characteristic of Quality Function Point Analysis etc.
5. Software Estimation using Function Point Analysis: Difficulties and Research Challenges.
6. Controlling Project Scope with Function Point Analysis.
Scope & Function Point Analysis
7. Function Point Analysis, Objectives of Function Point Analysis, Problems with Function Point Analysis, Examples of Function Point Analysis, FPA components etc.
8. Requirements issues abound in system development despite many models and methods intended to verify that requirements are complete. This article highlights how function point analysis (FPA), the software sizing technique, delivers value as a structured requirements review.
Applying Function Points
9. An Introduction To Function Point Analysis.
Introduction To FPA
10. Effective Function Point counting depends on more than descriptions of externally observable results. Using Wilber's four-quadrant model, the document attempts to outline how the personal, social and cultural dimensions contribute to the outcomes.
The Psychology of Function Point Counting
11. Forgotten Aspects of Function Point Analysis.
Function Points Forgotten Aspects
12. How does FPA work?
13. Function Points: Their Use in Software Development and Maintenance.
14. Wikipedia - FPA.
Function Point Analysis calculation templates